If you are looking for a fun and educational day out in Berlin, you might want to visit the Zoo Berlin. It is the oldest and most popular zoo in Germany, and it has the largest variety of species of any zoo in the world. You can see more than 20,000 animals, including the only giant pandas in Germany, at this amazing attraction.
To visit the Zoo Berlin, you need to buy a ticket online or at the entrance. The ticket prices vary depending on the season and the type of ticket you choose. You can also buy a combined ticket that gives you access to both the Zoo Berlin and the Tierpark Berlin, which is another zoo located in the east of the city. The Zoo Berlin is open every day of the year, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. in summer and from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in winter. The last admission is one hour before closing time.
The Zoo Berlin is easy to reach by public transport or by car. It is located in the heart of the city, next to the famous Tiergarten park and near the Kurfürstendamm shopping street. You can take the U-Bahn (subway) to Zoologischer Garten station or the S-Bahn (city train) to Tiergarten station. There are also several bus stops nearby. If you come by car, you can park at one of the nearby parking garages or use the metered parking spaces along the street.
The Zoo Berlin offers many attractions and activities for visitors of all ages. You can join guided tours, watch animal feedings, listen to talks by zookeepers, or participate in workshops and events. You can also explore the zoo on your own with a map or an audio guide. Some of the highlights of the zoo are:
- The Panda Garden, where you can see Meng Meng and Jiao Qing, the only giant pandas in Germany, and their two cubs Meng Xiang and Meng Yuan.
- The Aquarium Berlin, which is part of the zoo and houses more than 9,000 aquatic animals, including fish, reptiles, amphibians, and insects.
- The World of Birds, where you can see more than 500 birds of different species and colors, including flamingos, parrots, penguins, and owls.
- The Predator House, where you can see lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, and other big cats.
- The Hippo House, where you can see hippos, crocodiles, monkeys, and other animals from Africa.
When you visit the Zoo Berlin, you should follow some rules and tips to make your experience enjoyable and safe. Here are some of them:
- Do not feed or touch the animals. They have special diets and may bite or scratch you.
- Do not litter or throw anything into the enclosures. It may harm the animals or damage their habitats.
- Do not make loud noises or flash photography. It may disturb or scare the animals.
- Respect other visitors and keep a safe distance from them. Follow the hygiene and social distancing measures during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Bring your own water bottle and snacks. There are drinking fountains and vending machines throughout the zoo, but you may want to avoid queues and crowds.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing. The zoo is very large and you will walk a lot.
- Check the weather forecast before you go. The zoo is open in all weather conditions, but some animals may be more active or visible depending on the temperature and precipitation.
The Zoo Berlin is a wonderful place to discover and learn about animals from all over the world. It is also a place where you can support conservation efforts and help protect endangered species. If you love animals and nature, you should definitely visit this amazing attraction when you are in Berlin.