The Bosphorus Strait is a natural strait that connects the Black Sea and the Sea of Marmara in Turkey. It is also an internationally significant waterway that separates Asia and Europe. The strait is about 31 km long and has a maximum width of 3.7 km at the northern entrance. The strait has a strong current that flows from the Black Sea to the Sea of Marmara, but also a counter-current that flows in the opposite direction.
If you want to visit the Bosphorus Strait, you will need a ticket that you can buy online or at the ticket offices near the ferry terminals. The ticket prices vary depending on the type and duration of the tour. The tours usually operate from 10 am to 6 pm every day, except for some public holidays. You can choose from different options, such as a short tour, a full tour, a moonlight tour, or a private tour.
Some tips for visiting the Bosphorus Strait are:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, as you will be walking and climbing stairs a lot.
- Bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and water, as the sun can be very strong and there is not much shade on the boats.
- Be aware of the traffic and crowds, especially during peak hours and weekends.
- Respect the local culture and customs, and dress modestly when visiting mosques and other religious sites.
Some of the attractions that you can see along the Bosphorus Strait are:
- The Rumeli Fortress and the Anadolu Fortress, two historical castles that were built by the Ottoman sultans to control the strait.
- The Dolmabahçe Palace and the Beylerbeyi Palace, two lavish palaces that were used by the Ottoman sultans and their families as residences and offices.
- The Maiden’s Tower, a small tower on an islet that has a legend about a princess who was locked there by her father to protect her from a prophecy.
- The Bosphorus Bridge and the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge, two modern bridges that span the strait and connect Asia and Europe.
Some of the prohibitions that you should follow when visiting the Bosphorus Strait are:
- Do not litter or pollute the water or the shore.
- Do not feed or disturb the wildlife, such as dolphins, fish, birds, or cats.
- Do not swim or fish in the strait without permission or proper equipment.
- Do not take photos or videos of military or security facilities or personnel.
More Things To Do In Istanbul.