Botanical Garden Kruidtuin is a beautiful green oasis in the heart of Leuven, Belgium. It is the oldest botanical garden in the country, founded in 1738 by the University of Leuven for its medical students. Today, it is open to the public and offers a variety of plants, flowers, trees and herbs to admire and learn about.
The ticket price for Botanical Garden Kruidtuin is very affordable. You can enter the garden for free and enjoy its natural beauty. The only exception is the tropical greenhouse, which requires a small fee of 2 euros per person. The greenhouse is home to exotic plants from different regions of the world, such as orchids, cacti, ferns and palms.
The Botanical Garden Kruidtuin is open every day of the year, except on January 1st and December 25th. The opening hours vary depending on the season. From April to September, the garden is open from 8 am to 8 pm. From October to March, it is open from 8 am to 5 pm. The tropical greenhouse has shorter opening hours, from 10 am to 5 pm on weekdays and from 2 pm to 5 pm on weekends.
To get to Botanical Garden Kruidtuin, you can use public transportation or walk from the city center. The nearest bus stop is Sint-Maartensdal, which is served by lines 1, 2, 4 and 6. The garden is also within walking distance from Leuven train station, about 15 minutes away. If you prefer to drive, you can park your car at Parking Ladeuze or Parking Heilig Hart.
Some tips for visiting Botanical Garden Kruidtuin are:
- Bring a picnic basket and enjoy a relaxing meal on the lawn or at one of the tables in the garden.
- Check out the events calendar on the website to see if there are any guided tours, workshops or exhibitions happening during your visit.
- Don’t forget your camera and take some beautiful photos of the plants and flowers.
- Respect the nature and do not pick any flowers or plants or damage any part of the garden.
Tours are available for groups of at least 10 people who book in advance. You can choose between a general tour of the garden or a thematic tour focusing on a specific topic, such as medicinal plants, edible plants or biodiversity. The tours last about an hour and a half and cost 60 euros per group.
Some of the highlights of Botanical Garden Kruidtuin are:
- The herb garden, which contains more than 400 species of medicinal and aromatic plants.
- The rock garden, which features alpine plants from different continents.
- The pond, which attracts various birds and insects and has a fountain and a bridge.
- The rose garden, which showcases different types of roses and their history.
- The fruit garden, which grows apples, pears, cherries and other fruits.
Botanical Garden Kruidtuin´s prohibitions are:
- Smoking or vaping in the garden or the greenhouse.
- Bringing pets or bicycles into the garden or the greenhouse.
- Feeding or disturbing the animals in the pond or elsewhere.
- Playing music or making loud noises that could disturb other visitors or the plants.