The Burcht van Leiden is a historic castle in the city of Leiden, Netherlands. It was built in the 11th century on a artificial hill, where two branches of the Rhine river meet. The castle has a circular shape and is surrounded by a stone wall. It can be accessed through a sandstone gate.
The Burcht van Leiden’s ticket price for visiting the Burcht van Leiden is free of charge. The castle is open to the public every day from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm. However, it may be closed occasionally for special events or maintenance.
To get to the Burcht van Leiden, you can take a bus, a train, a bike or walk from the city center. The nearest bus stop is Breestraat, which is about 5 minutes away by foot. The nearest train station is Leiden Centraal, which is about 15 minutes away by foot or 5 minutes by bike. There are also bike parking facilities near the castle.
Some tips for visiting the Burcht van Leiden are:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, as the hill is steep and the stairs are narrow.
- Bring a camera or a smartphone to take pictures of the castle and the panoramic view of the city.
- Check the weather forecast before you go, as the castle may be slippery or windy in rainy or stormy conditions.
- Respect the history and the nature of the castle, and do not litter or damage anything.
There are no guided tours available for the Burcht van Leiden, but you can explore it on your own or with a brochure that you can get at the entrance. Some of the things that you can see are:
- The sandstone gate from 1662, which has heraldic symbols of the city and its leading families carved on it.
- The iron gate from 1653, which has a Latin inscription that translates to «The Lord is my strength and my shield».
- The inner courtyard, which has a well and a sundial.
- The wall walk, which offers a view of the city and its landmarks, such as the Hooglandse Kerk and the Pieterskerk.
- The chapel, which was built in 1150 and has some medieval paintings and sculptures.
There are some prohibitions that you should follow when visiting the Burcht van Leiden, such as:
- Do not climb on the wall or the roof of the castle, as it is dangerous and may cause damage.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol inside or near the castle, as it is forbidden by law and may cause fire hazards.
- Do not bring pets or bicycles inside the castle, as they are not allowed and may disturb other visitors or damage the property.