The Cathedral of St Domnius is a Catholic cathedral in Split, Croatia, that was built from the mausoleum of the Roman Emperor Diocletian. It is the oldest cathedral in the world that remains in use in its original structure. The cathedral is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and the bell tower to Saint Domnius, the patron saint of Split who was martyred in the nearby city of Solin.
Cathedral of St Domnius is open every day from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm.
Cathedral of Saint Domnius´s ticket price for the cathedral and the bell tower is 45 kuna (about 6 euros) for adults and 20 kuna (about 3 euros) for children. You can also buy a combined ticket for the cathedral, the bell tower, the baptistery and the treasury for 70 kuna (about 9 euros) for adults and 30 kuna (about 4 euros) for children.
To get to the Cathedral of St Domnius, you can take a bus, a taxi or a walk from the main bus station or the ferry port.
Cathedral of Saint Domnius is located in the heart of the Diocletian’s Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that dates back to the 4th century AD. You can enter the palace through one of its four gates: Golden Gate, Silver Gate, Iron Gate or Brass Gate.
Some tips for visiting the Cathedral of St Domnius are:
- Climb up the bell tower for a panoramic view of the city and the sea.
- Admire the wooden doors carved by Andrija Buvina in the 13th century with scenes from the Gospels.
- See the altars dedicated to Saint Domnius and Saint Anastasius, both made by famous Croatian artists in the Gothic style.
- Visit the baptistery, which was once a temple of Jupiter, and see the statue of Saint John the Baptist by Ivan Meštrović.
- Explore the treasury, which contains relics, manuscripts, paintings and liturgical objects.
The Cathedral of St Domnius has some prohibitions for visitors, such as:
- No photography or video recording inside the cathedral.
- No smoking or eating inside the cathedral.
- No pets allowed inside the cathedral.
- No backpacks or large bags allowed inside the cathedral.
- No inappropriate clothing or behavior inside the cathedral.
The Cathedral of Saint Domnius is a must-see attraction for anyone who visits Split. It is a place where history, art and faith come together in a unique way. You will be amazed by its ancient architecture, its rich decoration and its spiritual atmosphere.