Fort Lovrijenac is a stunning fortress located on a rocky cliff in Dubrovnik, Croatia. It was built in the 11th century to defend the city from the Venetian invaders. Today, it is a popular tourist attraction and a cultural venue that hosts various events, such as the Dubrovnik Summer Festival and the Game of Thrones exhibition.
To visit Fort Lovrijenac, you need to buy a ticket that also includes the entrance to the city walls. The ticket costs 200 kuna (about 27 euros) for adults and 50 kuna (about 7 euros) for children and students. You can buy the ticket at the entrance of the fort or at any of the city wall gates. The ticket is valid for one day and you can visit both attractions in any order.
The Fort Lovrijenac is open every day from 8 am to 7 pm in summer (May to September) and from 9 am to 3 pm in winter (October to April). The last admission is 30 minutes before closing time. The fort is closed on some public holidays, such as Christmas and New Year’s Day.
To get to Fort Lovrijenac, you can walk from the Old Town along the Pile Gate or take a bus to the Pile stop. The fort is about 10 minutes walk from the bus stop. You will have to climb some stairs to reach the entrance, so wear comfortable shoes and bring some water.
Some tips for visiting Fort Lovrijenac are:
- Plan your visit early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid the crowds and the heat.
- Bring your camera and enjoy the panoramic views of the Old Town and the Adriatic Sea from the fort.
- Explore the three levels of the fort and discover its history and architecture. You can also see some props and costumes from the Game of Thrones series, as the fort was used as a filming location for King’s Landing.
- Join a guided tour to learn more about the fort and its role in Dubrovnik’s history. You can book a tour online or at the entrance of the fort. The tours last about an hour and cost around 150 kuna (about 20 euros) per person.
- Respect the rules and prohibitions of the fort. Do not litter, smoke, climb on the walls, or touch any of the exhibits.
Fort Lovrijenac is a must-see attraction for anyone visiting Dubrovnik. It offers a unique insight into the city’s past and present, as well as a spectacular scenery for photos and memories.