If you want to explore Amsterdam with a local guide and learn about its history, culture and attractions, you might want to join a free walking tour. Free walking tours in Amsterdam are tours that are based on tips, so you can pay what you think the tour is worth at the end. There are many free walking tours in Amsterdam that cover different topics and areas of the city. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- The Essential Amsterdam Walking Tour: This tour will take you to the main sights of Amsterdam, such as Dam Square, the Royal Palace, the Old Church, the Flower Market and more. You will also learn about the Dutch Golden Age, the canals, the bikes and the coffee shops. The tour lasts about 1 hour and 45 minutes and starts from Dam Square at 10:00, 13:30 and 16:00.
- The Jewish Quarter, WWII & the Anne Frank Story: This tour will show you the history and legacy of the Jewish community in Amsterdam, as well as the impact of World War II and the Nazi occupation. You will visit places like the Jewish Historical Museum, the Portuguese Synagogue, the Holocaust Memorial and the Anne Frank House. The tour lasts about 2 hours and 30 minutes and starts from Dam Square at 10:00, 10:30, 12:00 and 15:00.
- The Red Light District Tour: This tour will take you to the most famous and controversial area of Amsterdam, where you will discover its secrets, myths and realities. You will see the red-lit windows, the sex shops, the museums and the churches. You will also learn about the history, laws and social issues of prostitution in Amsterdam. The tour lasts about 2 hours and starts from Dam Square at 19:00.
- The History of Amsterdam with an Archaeologist: This tour will give you a deeper insight into the origins and development of Amsterdam from an archaeological perspective. You will see how the city was built on swampy land, how it expanded over time and how it became a global trading hub. You will also see some of the oldest buildings and monuments in Amsterdam. The tour lasts about 2 hours and starts from Central Station at various times.
- The #1 Best Rated Walking Tour in Amsterdam: This tour will offer you a comprehensive overview of Amsterdam’s history, culture and lifestyle. You will visit landmarks such as the New Church, the Begijnhof, the Rembrandt House and more. You will also hear stories about famous Dutch people, such as Rembrandt, Anne Frank and Vincent van Gogh. The tour lasts about 2 hours and 30 minutes and starts from Dam Square at 10:30 and 14:00.
These are just some of the free walking tours in Amsterdam that you can join. There are many more options to choose from depending on your interests and preferences. Free walking tours are a great way to discover Amsterdam with a local guide who can share their knowledge and tips with you. Just remember to book your spot online in advance and to tip your guide at the end if you enjoyed the tour.