Gulhane Park is a historical urban park in Istanbul, Turkey, that is adjacent to and on the grounds of the Topkapi Palace. It is the oldest and one of the most expansive public parks in Istanbul. The park was once part of the outer garden of the palace, and it was opened to the public in 1912. The park is named after the Rosehouse, where the 1839 Edict of Gulhane was proclaimed, launching the Tanzimat reforms in the Ottoman Empire.
The park has a rich history and cultural heritage, as well as a beautiful natural landscape. The park contains several monuments and attractions, such as the Goths’ Column, which commemorates a Roman victory over the Goths in the 4th century; the first statue of Ataturk in Turkey, sculpted by Heinrich Krippel in 1926; and the Museum of Islamic Science and Technology History, which displays various inventions and discoveries from the Islamic world.
The park is open every day from 6:00 am to 10:30 pm, and there is no entrance fee. The park can be reached by tram, bus, ferry or taxi from various parts of the city. The park is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike, who enjoy walking, picnicking, relaxing and taking photos in the park. The park also hosts various events and festivals throughout the year, such as concerts, exhibitions and flower shows.
Some tips for visiting Gulhane Park are:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, as the park is quite large and hilly.
- Bring water and snacks, as there are not many options for food and drinks in the park.
- Respect the nature and culture of the park, and do not litter or damage any plants or monuments.
- Be aware of your surroundings and belongings, as there may be pickpockets or scammers in the park.
- Enjoy the views and atmosphere of the park, and learn more about its history and significance.
There are also some tours that offer guided visits to Gulhane Park and other nearby attractions, such as the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque. These tours can be booked online or through travel agencies, and they usually include transportation, entrance fees and professional guides. Some examples of these tours are:
- Istanbul Classics Walking Tour
- Istanbul Highlights Tour
- Istanbul Ottoman Relics Tour
Some prohibitions for visiting Gulhane Park are:
- Do not feed or disturb any animals in the park, such as birds or cats.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol in the park, as it is forbidden by law.
- Do not enter any restricted areas or buildings in the park, such as military zones or museums.
- Do not take photos or videos of any people without their permission, especially women or children.
- Do not make noise or play music loudly in the park, as it may disturb other visitors or residents.