Hoi An Lantern Festival is a monthly event that celebrates the full moon by turning off the electric lights and illuminating the ancient town with colorful lanterns. It is a unique and magical experience that attracts many visitors from around the world.
If you want to join the Hoi An Lantern Festival, you will need to buy a ticket at one of the booths near the entrance of the old town. The ticket costs 120,000 VND (about 5 USD) and includes a paper lantern that you can float on the river. The ticket also gives you access to some cultural performances and activities, such as folk music, traditional games, and calligraphy.
Hoi An Lantern Festival is held on the 14th day of every lunar month, which usually falls on a different date each month according to the Gregorian calendar. You can check the exact date online or ask your hotel staff. The festival starts at around 6 pm and lasts until 10 pm, but you can arrive earlier or stay later to enjoy the atmosphere.
To get to Hoi An old town, you can take a taxi, a bus, a bike, or a motorbike from your accommodation. The distance and time will vary depending on where you are staying, but it is usually not more than 10 km or 30 minutes. You can also book a tour that includes transportation and a guide who will explain the history and culture of Hoi An.
Some tips for enjoying the Hoi An Lantern Festival are:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, as you will be walking a lot and it can get hot and humid.
- Bring some cash, as most vendors do not accept credit cards or electronic payments.
- Be respectful of the local customs and beliefs, and do not litter or make noise.
- Avoid bringing large bags or backpacks, as they may be checked or restricted by security.
- Be careful of pickpockets and scams, and keep your valuables close to you.
Some of the things you can see and do at the Hoi An Lantern Festival are:
- Watch the lanterns float on the river and make a wish for good luck and happiness.
- Visit some of the ancient temples and pagodas that are open to the public during the festival.
- Enjoy some local delicacies and street food, such as cao lau, banh mi, and che.
- Shop for souvenirs and handicrafts made by local artisans, such as silk lanterns, pottery, and embroidery.
- Take photos of the stunning scenery and architecture of Hoi An old town.
Hoi An Lantern Festival is a must-see event if you are visiting Vietnam during the full moon. It is a wonderful way to experience the charm and beauty of this UNESCO World Heritage Site.