Hvar Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in the city of Hvar, on the island of Hvar in Croatia. It is dedicated to St. Stephen, the pope and martyr who is also the patron saint of Hvar. The cathedral was built on the site of an ancient church and a Benedictine convent that date back to the 6th century. The construction of the current cathedral started in the 16th century and lasted until the 18th century. The cathedral has a basilica shape with three naves, a square sanctuary and a Renaissance choir. The west facade has a triangular shape with a three-leaf motif that symbolizes the Holy Trinity. The bell tower, built by local masters, has a Renaissance style and was completed in 1550. The interior of the cathedral is decorated with nine Baroque altars that contain paintings by Venetian artists, such as Palma the Younger. The cathedral also has a Gothic pulpit and a stone polyptych of St. Luke and The Flagellation of Christ.
Hvar Cathedral is open to visitors every day from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
Hvar Cathedral´s ticket price is 20 kuna (about 3 euros) for adults and 10 kuna (about 1.5 euros) for children and students. The ticket includes access to the cathedral treasury, which displays various religious artifacts and artworks from different periods.
To get to Hvar Cathedral, you can take a ferry from Split or Dubrovnik to Hvar town, which is the main port on the island. From there, you can walk to the cathedral, which is located on the eastern side of the main square (Pjaca), where two parts of the city meet.
Some tips for visiting Hvar Cathedral are:
- Wear appropriate clothing that covers your shoulders and knees, as this is a place of worship.
- Respect the silence and avoid using flash photography inside the cathedral.
- Explore the surrounding area, which has many historical and cultural attractions, such as the Hvar Theatre, the Arsenal, the Franciscan Monastery and the Fortica Fortress.
- Enjoy the view of the harbor and the Pakleni Islands from the cathedral square.
- Join a guided tour or rent an audio guide to learn more about the history and architecture of the cathedral.
Hvar Cathedral is one of the most impressive and beautiful buildings on Hvar island. It is a symbol of the rich heritage and faith of the people of Hvar. It is also a place where you can admire some remarkable artworks and enjoy a peaceful atmosphere.