The Martinitoren is the highest church tower in the city of Groningen, Netherlands. It is part of the Martinikerk, a Gothic-style church that dates back to the 13th century. The tower is 97 meters tall and has a carillon with 62 bells. The tower is a symbol of the city and can be seen from far away.
The Martinitoren’s ticket price for climbing the Martinitoren is 3 euros for adults and 2 euros for children. You can buy tickets at the VVV tourist office in the Grote Markt, next to the tower. The tickets are valid for one hour and you can climb up to the third level of the tower, where you can enjoy a panoramic view of the city.
The Martinitoren is open from Tuesday to Sunday, from 11:00 to 17:00. The last admission is at 16:30. The tower is closed on Mondays and on some public holidays. You can check the opening hours on the official website: https://www.toerisme.groningen.nl/en/see-do/attractions/martinitoren
The easiest way to get to the Martinitoren is by public transport. You can take a bus or a train to the central station of Groningen and then walk for about 15 minutes to the Grote Markt. You can also rent a bike or a scooter and explore the city on two wheels.
Some tips for visiting the Martinitoren are:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, as you will have to climb 260 steps to reach the top of the tower.
- Bring a camera or a smartphone to capture the stunning views of the city and the surrounding countryside.
- Listen to the carillon playing every quarter of an hour and try to recognize some of the tunes.
- Visit the Martinikerk as well, which has a rich history and beautiful artworks inside.
If you want to learn more about the Martinitoren and its history, you can join a guided tour. The tours are offered by experienced guides who will tell you interesting stories and facts about the tower and the church. The tours last about an hour and cost 5 euros per person. You can book a tour online or at the VVV tourist office.
The Martinitoren is not only a landmark, but also a cultural attraction. There are many things to see and do around the tower, such as:
- Visit the Groninger Museum, which showcases modern art and design in a striking building.
- Explore the Prinsentuin, a beautiful Renaissance garden with roses, herbs and fountains.
- Enjoy a drink or a meal at one of the many cafes and restaurants in the Grote Markt.
- Shop for local products and souvenirs at the Vismarkt, a lively market square.
The Martinitoren is a must-see attraction for anyone visiting Groningen. However, there are some prohibitions that you should respect when climbing the tower, such as:
- Do not smoke, drink or eat inside the tower.
- Do not litter or damage any part of the tower or the church.
- Do not make loud noises or disturb other visitors or residents.
- Do not lean over or throw anything from the tower.