Phong Dien Floating Market is a small retail market in the Mekong Delta, about 20 kilometers southwest of Can Tho City. It is less crowded and touristy than the larger Cai Rang Floating Market, but more authentic and diverse. You can find a variety of products here, from fruits and vegetables to household appliances and fishing tools. You can also enjoy a typical breakfast on a boat, such as pho, hu tieu, or porridge, while watching the locals trade and chat.
Phong Dien Floating Market is open every day from 6:30 am to 7:50 pm.
The best time to visit is between 6 am and 8 am, when the market is at its busiest and most colorful.
You can get Phong Dien Floating Market by road or by boat from Ninh Kieu Pier in Can Tho City. The boat ticket costs about 20 USD per private boat and the trip takes about an hour. You can also join a combined tour of Cai Rang and Phong Dien Floating Markets, which lasts about six hours and includes a return trip through the scenic backwaters.
Some tips for visiting Phong Dien Floating Market are:
- Bring a hat, sunscreen, and water to protect yourself from the sun and heat.
- Bargain politely with the vendors if you want to buy something.
- Respect the local culture and customs. Do not touch or take photos of people or their goods without permission.
- Try some local specialties, such as coconut candy, snake wine, or honey tea.
- Enjoy the lively atmosphere and friendly people.
Phong Dien Floating Market is a great place to experience the rural life and culture of the Mekong Delta. It is a must-see attraction for anyone who wants to see a different side of Vietnam.