Prague Zoo is one of the most popular attractions in the Czech capital. It is home to more than 5,000 animals of over 650 species, including rare and endangered ones. You can see elephants, giraffes, gorillas, penguins, lions, tigers and many more. The zoo also has a botanical garden, a chairlift, a children’s playground and several restaurants and cafes.
To visit Prague Zoo, you need to buy a ticket online or at the entrance. The ticket prices vary depending on the season and the age of the visitor. You can also buy a family ticket or a group ticket for a lower price. The zoo is open every day of the year, except for December 25th. The opening hours are from 9:00 to 16:00 in winter and from 9:00 to 21:00 in summer.
The easiest way to get to Prague Zoo is by public transport. You can take the metro line C to Nádraží Holešovice and then take the bus number 112 to the zoo. Alternatively, you can take the ferry from Podbaba or Císařský ostrov to Troja. You can also drive to the zoo by car, but parking is limited and may be expensive.
Some tips for visiting Prague Zoo are:
- Plan your visit ahead and check the map of the zoo to decide which animals you want to see.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, as the zoo is very large and hilly.
- Bring your own water bottle and snacks, or buy them at the zoo shops.
- Respect the animals and do not feed them or disturb them.
- Follow the rules and signs of the zoo and do not enter restricted areas.
Some tours you can join at Prague Zoo are:
- Guided tours with an expert guide who will tell you interesting facts and stories about the animals and the zoo history.
- Behind-the-scenes tours where you can see how the animals are cared for and fed by the zookeepers.
- Animal encounters where you can get close to some of the animals and touch them or feed them.
Some prohibitions at Prague Zoo are:
- Smoking is not allowed in the zoo premises.
- Pets are not allowed in the zoo, except for guide dogs.
- Bicycles, roller skates, skateboards and scooters are not allowed in the zoo.
- Drones are not allowed in the zoo without permission.
Some of the highlights of Prague Zoo are:
- The Elephant Valley, where you can see a herd of Asian elephants in a spacious enclosure with a pool and a waterfall.
- The Indonesian Jungle, where you can walk through a tropical rainforest with orangutans, gibbons, hornbills and other exotic animals.
- The African House, where you can see hippos, crocodiles, meerkats, lemurs and other African animals in naturalistic habitats.
- The Penguin House, where you can watch Humboldt penguins swim and play in an indoor pool with underwater windows.