Rathausplatz is a square in front of the city hall of Vienna, Austria. It is a popular site for open-air festivals and events throughout the year, especially in summer and winter. Some of the highlights include the Christkindlmarkt (a Christmas market), the Vienna Ice World (a huge ice rink), and the Rathaus Film Festival (a free screening of musical films). Rathausplatz is also a historical and architectural attraction, as it features the 19th-century Rathaus building and the surrounding city park. Visitors can admire the neo-Gothic style of the Rathaus and its tower, which is 98 meters high and has a statue of a knight on top. The park has many statues, fountains, and flower beds, as well as a playground for children.
To visit Rathausplatz, you can buy a ticket online or at the entrance of the events. The ticket prices vary depending on the event and the season, but they are usually affordable and sometimes free. The opening hours also depend on the event, but generally they are from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays and from 10 a.m. to midnight on weekends. You can check the official website of Rathausplatz for more information and updates.
To get to Rathausplatz, you can take public transport or walk from the city center. The nearest metro station is Rathaus (line U2), which is right next to the square. You can also take tram lines 1, 2, D, or 71 to Rathausplatz/Burgtheater or bus lines 1A or 2A to Rathausplatz/Stadiongasse. If you prefer to walk, it is about 15 minutes from Stephansplatz or 20 minutes from Karlsplatz.
Some tips and tours for visiting Rathausplatz are:
- If you go to the Christkindlmarkt, try some of the traditional food and drinks, such as roasted chestnuts, gingerbread, and hot punch.
- If you go to the Vienna Ice World, rent skates at the venue or bring your own. You can also take ice skating lessons or join a curling game.
- If you go to the Rathaus Film Festival, bring a blanket or a chair to sit on the grass. You can also enjoy the international cuisine from the food stalls.
- If you want to learn more about the history and architecture of Rathausplatz and Rathaus, you can join a guided tour that takes you inside the building and shows you the rooms, halls, and galleries. You can book a tour online or at the information desk in Rathaus.
- If you want to see more of Vienna’s attractions, you can join a hop-on hop-off bus tour that stops at Rathausplatz and other landmarks, such as Schönbrunn Palace, Belvedere Palace, and St. Stephen’s Cathedral. You can buy a ticket online or on board.
Some prohibitions for visiting Rathausplatz are:
- Do not litter or damage the property. Use the trash bins and recycling stations provided.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol in prohibited areas. Follow the signs and regulations.
- Do not disturb other visitors or cause noise pollution. Respect the quiet hours and the rules of conduct.
- Do not bring pets or bicycles to the events. Leave them outside or use the designated areas.
- Do not enter restricted areas or touch any exhibits or artworks. Follow the instructions of the staff and security guards.