Santa Maria del Pi is a 14th-century Gothic church in Barcelona, Spain. It is located in the heart of the city’s old town, near the Rambla and the Plaça del Pi. The church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, who is depicted with a pine cone (pi in Catalan) in a stained glass window above the main entrance.
The ticket price for visiting the Santa Maria del Pi is 5 euros for adults and 3 euros for students and seniors. Children under 12 can enter for free. The ticket includes access to the nave, the crypt, the museum and the bell tower. You can buy tickets online or at the entrance.
The Santa Maria del Pi is open every day from 9:30 am to 8:30 pm. The bell tower is open from 10:00 am to 7:30 pm. The museum is open from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. The crypt is open from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm and from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
The easiest way to get to the Santa Maria del Pi is by metro. You can take the L3 (green) line and get off at Liceu station, which is a few minutes walk from the church. You can also take several bus lines that stop nearby, such as 14, 59, 91 and V13.
The Santa Maria del Pi offers guided tours in different languages, such as Catalan, Spanish, English and French. You can join a group tour or book a private tour in advance. The tours last about an hour and cover the history, architecture and art of the church.
Some of the attractions of the Santa Maria del Pi are:
- The rose window, which is one of the largest in Europe and has a diameter of 10 meters. It was restored in 1940 after being damaged by a fire.
- The bell tower, which is the tallest in Barcelona and has a height of 54 meters. It houses six bells that ring every quarter of an hour. You can climb up to the top and enjoy a panoramic view of the city.
- The museum, which displays various religious objects and artworks related to the church and its brotherhoods. You can see paintings, sculptures, silverware, textiles and more.
- The crypt, which is located under the main altar and contains the tombs of several prominent figures, such as bishops, nobles and artists.
Some tips for visiting the Santa Maria del Pi are:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, as you will have to climb many stairs to reach the bell tower.
- Bring a camera or a smartphone, as you will find many photo opportunities inside and outside the church.
- Check the schedule of events and concerts that take place in the church throughout the year. You might be able to enjoy some music or cultural activities during your visit.
- Respect the silence and the sacredness of the place. Do not talk loudly or disturb other visitors or worshippers.
Some prohibitions for visiting the Santa Maria del Pi are:
- Do not touch or damage any of the artworks or objects on display. They are part of the heritage of the church and should be preserved for future generations.
- Do not eat or drink inside the church. You can find many cafes and restaurants nearby where you can have a snack or a meal.
- Do not smoke inside or outside the church. Smoking is forbidden in public places in Barcelona and can result in a fine.
- Do not take photos or videos with flash or tripod. They can harm or interfere with the lighting and security systems of the church.