Saplunara Beach is a stunning sandy beach located on the southeast part of Mljet Island, Croatia. It is a protected area that hosts some rare plant species and a pine forest. The beach is about 1 km long and divided into two parts: Big and Small Saplunara. The water is shallow and warm, reaching up to 28°C in summer months. Saplunara Beach is a perfect place to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the island.
To visit Saplunara Beach, you need to take a ferry to Sobra, the main port of Mljet Island. From there, you can take a bus or a taxi to Saplunara, which is about 16 km away. The road is scenic but not very well maintained, so be careful when driving.
There are no hotels or restaurants on the beach, but you can find some private accommodation nearby. You can also bring your own food and drinks, as there are no shops or kiosks on the beach. There is a coffee bar where you can rent umbrellas and chairs, and a mobile toilet.
Saplunara Beach is open all year round, but the best time to visit is from May to October, when the weather is sunny and warm. The beach is not very crowded, even in peak season, so you can enjoy some peace and quiet. There are some activities you can do on the beach, such as volleyball, paddle boats, jet-skiing or diving. You can also explore the nearby coves and bays, or take a tour to the National Park of Mljet Island.
Some tips for visiting Saplunara Beach are:
- Respect the environment and do not litter or camp on the beach.
- Wear sunscreen and a hat, as the sun can be very strong.
- Bring some insect repellent, as there may be mosquitoes and flies.
- Be aware of the sea currents and waves, and do not swim too far from the shore.
- Enjoy the view and the tranquility of this hidden gem.
Some prohibitions for visiting Saplunara Beach are:
- Do not pick or damage any plants or animals on the beach or in the water.
- Do not make noise or disturb other visitors.
- Do not light fires or barbecue on the beach.
- Do not bring any glass bottles or containers on the beach.
Saplunara Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Croatia and a must-see for anyone who loves nature and sand. It is a place where you can forget about your worries and immerse yourself in the Mediterranean charm of Mljet Island.
What to see near Saplunara Beach:
- The National Park of Mljet Island, which covers about one-third of the island and includes two saltwater lakes, a Benedictine monastery and a Roman palace.
- The Odysseus Cave, a large sea cave that legend says was used by Odysseus when he was shipwrecked on Mljet Island.
- The Blace Beach, another sandy beach that is surrounded by high cliffs and has a unique shape of a crescent moon.