Södermalm is an island and district in the south of Stockholm, Sweden. It is known for its creative and trendy atmosphere, with many vintage, fashion and design shops, galleries, restaurants and bars. Södermalm is also the setting of the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson, a popular series of crime novels and films. Here are some tips on how to enjoy Södermalm:
- To get to Södermalm, you can take the metro (Tunnelbana) to one of the stations on the red or green line, such as Slussen, Medborgarplatsen or Hornstull. You can also take a bus or a ferry from other parts of Stockholm.
- To see some of the best views of Stockholm, you can walk along Fjällgatan or Monteliusvägen, two streets that offer panoramic vistas of the city and the water. You can also visit Skinnarviksberget, the highest natural point in Stockholm, where you can picnic and watch the sunset.
- To explore the culture and history of Södermalm, you can visit some of the museums and landmarks on the island, such as Fotografiska, a museum of contemporary photography; Katarina kyrka, a 17th-century church; or Medborgarhuset, a cultural center with a library, theater and cinema.
- To shop for unique and local items, you can browse the many boutiques and markets in Södermalm, especially in the SoFo area (south of Folkungagatan). You can find everything from Swedish fashion and design to vintage clothing and records. Some popular places are Grandpa, Nitty Gritty and Pet Sounds Records.
- To eat and drink like a local, you can try some of the many cafes, restaurants and bars in Södermalm, offering a variety of cuisines and atmospheres. You can have a traditional Swedish fika (coffee break) at Drop Coffee or Johan & Nyström; enjoy a vegetarian or vegan meal at Hermans or Lao Wai; or have a drink and listen to live music at Debaser or Södra Teatern.
Södermalm is a vibrant and diverse district that has something for everyone. Whether you are looking for culture, nature, shopping or nightlife, you will find it here. Södermalm is a place where you can experience the true spirit of Stockholm.