In this travel guide, we will introduce you to some of the things to do in Tortuguero as well as the best tourist attractions in Tortuguero. Tortuguero is a small town on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica, famous for its national park that protects the nesting site of sea turtles. There are many things to see in Tortuguero, such as the wildlife, the canals, the beaches and the village. You can explore the park by boat, kayak or canoe, and spot animals like monkeys, sloths, crocodiles, toucans and more. You can also visit the Sea Turtle Conservancy Museum, where you can learn about the conservation efforts and the life cycle of these amazing creatures. If you are lucky, you might even witness the nesting or hatching of the turtles at night. The nightlife in Tortuguero is not very lively, but you can still enjoy some local food and drinks at the pubs and restaurants along the main street. You can also join a night tour to see the nocturnal animals and plants in the jungle. Tortuguero does not have any sights like landmarks, palaces, castles, gardens, parks, cathedrals, churches, synagogues, mosques, cemeteries or football stadiums, but it has plenty of natural beauty and charm to offer. Here are some of the top tourist attractions in Tortuguero and the best things to do in Tortuguero that you should not miss.
Looking for things to do in Tortuguero? Discover the best tourist attractions in Tortuguero:
- Tortuguero National Park: A stunning natural reserve with diverse wildlife, water trails, land trails and sea turtle nesting sites. Admission tickets from $35.00 per adult.
- Sea Turtle Conservancy: A museum and research center dedicated to the conservation of sea turtles and their habitats. Learn about the biology, ecology and threats of these amazing creatures.
- Sendero Cerro Tortuguero: A hiking trail that leads to the highest point in Tortuguero, offering panoramic views of the surrounding rainforest, canals and ocean.
- Don Chico Tours: A local tour operator that offers canoe tours, night walks, fishing trips and cultural experiences in Tortuguero. Friendly and knowledgeable guides.
- Tortuguero Adventures: Another tour operator that offers a variety of activities in Tortuguero, such as kayaking, birdwatching, turtle watching, chocolate tour and more.
- Tortuguero Eco Experiences: A tour company that specializes in eco-friendly and sustainable tours in Tortuguero, such as boat tours, hiking tours, yoga sessions and volunteer opportunities.
- Jungle Tom Safaris Day Tours: A tour agency that organizes day trips from San Jose to Tortuguero National Park, including transportation, boat ride, lunch and guide service.
- Tortuguero Village: The main town of Tortuguero, where you can find restaurants, shops, hotels and other services. A colorful and lively place to explore and interact with locals.
- Caribbean Conservation Corporation: A non-profit organization that works to protect sea turtles and their habitats in the Caribbean region. They offer educational programs, volunteer opportunities and turtle adoption programs.
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens: A beautiful lodge located on the banks of the Tortuguero River, surrounded by lush gardens and wildlife. They offer comfortable rooms, a restaurant, a pool and a spa.
- Manatus Hotel: A luxury hotel that offers spacious rooms, a restaurant, a bar, a pool and a gym. They also provide tours, massages and transfers.
- Pachira Lodge: A cozy lodge that offers rustic rooms, a restaurant, a bar, a pool and a garden. They also arrange tours, activities and transportation.
- Mawamba Lodge: A charming lodge that offers comfortable rooms, a restaurant, a bar, a pool and a butterfly garden. They also offer tours, entertainment and transfers.
- Laguna Lodge Tortuguero: A lovely lodge that offers elegant rooms, a restaurant, a bar, a pool and a beach access. They also provide tours, shows and transportation.
- Evergreen Lodge: A nice lodge that offers cozy rooms, a restaurant, a bar, a pool and a dock. They also organize tours, activities and transfers.
- La Baula Lodge: A simple lodge that offers basic rooms, a restaurant, a bar and a garden. They also arrange tours and transportation.
- Casa Marbella: A small hotel that offers clean rooms, a restaurant, a bar and a terrace. They also provide tours and bike rental.
- Hotel Rana Roja Lodge: A budget hotel that offers modest rooms, a restaurant, a bar and a pool. They also offer tours and transfers.
- Hotel River View: A cheap hotel that offers simple rooms, a restaurant and a river view. They also arrange tours and transportation.
- Hotel El Icaco Tortuguero: A beachfront hotel that offers basic rooms, a restaurant and a terrace. They also provide tours and transfers.
- Miss Junies Lodge: A family-run hotel that offers rustic rooms, a restaurant and a garden. They also organize tours and activities.
If you find this Tortuguero Travel Guide useful, don’t forget to share it with your friends. We would also love to read your comments about Tortuguero if you have been there.