Veliki Slap Waterfall is one of the most spectacular natural attractions in Croatia. It is located in the Plitvice Lakes National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The waterfall is the highest in the park, with a drop of 78 meters. It is formed by the confluence of several smaller streams that cascade over the edge of a limestone cliff.
Veliki Slap Waterfall can be visited throughout the year, but the best time to see it is in spring or autumn, when the water flow is at its peak.
Plitvice Lakes National Park is open every day from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. in summer, and from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in winter.
Plitvice Lakes National Park’s entrance fee varies depending on the season and the type of ticket. You can choose between a one-day or a two-day ticket, or a combined ticket that includes a boat ride and a train ride within the park.
To get to the Veliki Slap Waterfall, you can either take a boat from P1 or P2 pier, or hike along the marked trails from Entrance 1 or Entrance 2. The boat ride takes about 15 minutes, while the hike can take up to an hour. The trails are well-maintained and offer stunning views of the lakes and waterfalls along the way.
Some tips for visiting the Veliki Slap Waterfall are:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes that can get wet.
- Bring a raincoat or an umbrella in case of rain.
- Avoid swimming or touching the water, as it is strictly prohibited and can damage the ecosystem.
- Respect the wildlife and do not feed or disturb the animals.
- Do not litter or leave any trace of your visit.
- Book your ticket online in advance to avoid long queues at the entrance.
If you have more time, you can also explore other attractions in the Plitvice Lakes National Park, such as:
- The Lower Lakes, where you can see smaller waterfalls and caves.
- The Upper Lakes, where you can admire the turquoise color of the water and the travertine formations.
- The Big Lake, where you can enjoy a panoramic view of the park from a viewpoint.
- The Supljara Cave, where you can see stalactites and stalagmites.
- The Sastavci Waterfall, where you can witness the confluence of Korana and Plitvica rivers.
Veliki Slap Waterfall is a must-see for anyone who loves nature and beauty. It is a place where you can experience the harmony and diversity of life on Earth.